Last night I went to see Prince Caspian with my family. My dad thought the prince needed a haircut (I thought his hair was beautiful), but other than that we all agreed that it was a very very good movie. The location and scenery were absolutely breathtaking, and the filming was very well done. It was a thoroughly enjoyable movie... except for one part at the beginning. On a black screen, white words told us that the film was based on the novel by C.S. Lewis. This movie was based about as much on Prince Caspian as O Brother Where Art Thou was based on the Odyssey. The movie was excellent, yes, but it did not do justice to C.S. Lewis.
If I hadn't taken so many wonderful literature classes, including a short class on Lewis himself, I would probably have been content. But there are so many themes and ideas that did not come through in the movie, and (it's been a long time since I've read those books, but I think) they added a few things that made it more interesting, but changed the whole mood of the story. So for now, I've disconnected the movie and the book in my mind. I intend to reread all the Chronicles of Narnia this summer, so hopefully I can enjoy Narnia thoroughly then, in all its original glory.
5 comments:
I must say that I agree completely with your editorial. The book was really good, and the movie was really good, but it's best to think of them separately. The sad part is that I have heard Christians comment that the movie is really good - and they don't bother reading the book.
I agree too. The only change they made that I liked was the summoning of the White Witch (sorry if someone reads this who hasn't seen it yet) and the way she was destroyed. I liked the way her ice sheet divided everyone from Aslan's image.
I agree with Adam and Richard. If I haden't read C.S. Lewis' amazing books. I would have thought that it was one of the best movies I've ever seen. Oh, and your right about the princes hair, as I always say it was pretty much amazing!! :)
I have NOT seen the movie - since I just recently got the book for myself (at last). Maybe I'll just watch the movie then read the book later then.
Btw, I didn't recognize the relation between "Brother where art thou" and "The Odyssey" at all! Now I think about that, I think it's amazing.
I must have ignored your comment on the prince's hair when I first read your post, but I agree with your dad; he needed a haircut.
In response to Kayla, Caspian's hair was pretty much too long. :P
Post a Comment