For those of you who didn't know, I have been working at Subway this summer. It has been... an adventure. I have had lots of opportunities to interact with very non-Christian people, as well as to show that I am different. Pretty much everyone there knows that I a Christian, and sometimes coworkers have even asked me to explain why I act in a sort of counter-cultural way (for example, why in the world am I still a virgin after I have graduated high school? Apparently it is time for me to move out of that childish phase. That was an interesting conversation for both of us girls!). Please pray that I will be a light and encouragement to all my coworkers and can speak powerfully to their own struggles. And please also pray that I will stay strong under such an overwhelming secular influence.
I thought I would post about my job because it is where I have spent most of my summer thus far, whether I like it or not. Lately things have been even more crazy than usual. Take yesterday for example. We hired a new girl (who is six foot one. Wow, that's tall!) and I helped train her. Maybe it was the two of us together, but no less than six people asked me how tall I was and if I was an athlete. Some days I think I should just wear a nametag advertising my height and the sports I play =P I also made three batches of cookies yesterday, one of which a coworker was helpful enough to burn for me. They were a little too toasty to sell, but I heard they were delicious and that all the staff that evening was grateful for this mishap.
Today was another crazy day. We made 92 sandwiches between one and two alone. That is one and a half sandwiches a minute!! Things didn't slow down much all day. What is it like when we have such a big rush? I get requests like this in immediate succession:
"Kimberlee, could you bring up two packages of bacon? "
"Kimberlee, would you answer the phone?"
"Kimberlee, could you please do cartwheels in the lobby?"
At least some of my coworkers have a healthy sense of humor that makes the hours pass much faster. And I am really enjoying all the people that come through our doors. Not a day has passed that I don't see and chat with an acquaintance or friend, and I am getting to know our regular customers pretty well, which is nice.
As I work away my last hours here in Bozeman, it is easy to get a little depressed and wish I were somewhere else. Somewhere laughing with friends, somewhere a little cooler (it is 85 degrees in the lobby most days, and in back we have two ovens and a 700 degree toaster oven going full blast. It really gets warm.). But then I have to realize that I am not somewhere else, I am at Subway, and I should serve God and my manager wholeheartedly while there. So I still think about all of you when I am washing dishes, taking out the trash, or cleaning, and I miss you all! But it doesn't distract me any more from the job at hand. For the two short weeks I have left, I will work with all my heart, and hopefully I will be able to squeeze in lots of time with all my friends as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment